The West Suburban Community Pantry traces its roots to a small pantry dating back to the 1970s. In 1992, the pantry was incorporated and obtained its 501(c)(3) status in response to a growing need in the community. Initially housed in 500 square feet of space provided by the Village of Woodridge, the pantry now operates out of an 8,000 square foot warehouse/office unit in northwestern Woodridge. In the spring of 2010, our name was changed from the Woodridge Community Pantry to the West Suburban Community Pantry in response to our expansion to open our services to all of DuPage County.
A Brief Overview
With the help of volunteers and sponsors, our vision is to eradicate hunger within the families and individuals in the DuPage County area. We are dedicated to providing food for the hungry, educating the donor community about existing needs, and supporting advocacy efforts for the hungry. We also work hard to encourage volunteerism and the sharing of resources.
The Facts for Fiscal Year 2012:
- An average of 3,700 persons each month, including 1,460 children and 300 seniors, had better nutritional choices available to them, and a larger supply of food.
- An average of 1,000 households each month received a minimum of 125 pounds of food at each visit, including milk, eggs, cheese, fresh meat, produce, fruit and bread.
- Students in the Lisle and Darien School Districts had access to breakfast options each school day, providing nutrition at the beginning of the day, without having to wait until lunch.
We fed 46,474 duplicated persons, including 18,926 children and 3,609 senior citizens in fiscal year 2013. Unduplicated numbers were 9,868 persons including 4,101 children and 650 senior citizens.
Our Foundation Donors
- Blowitz-Ridgeway Foundation
- Community Services Block Grant
- DuPage Community Foundation
- DuPage County Human Services
- DuPage Medical Group Charitable Fund
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- GKN Foundation
- Grace Bersted Foundation, Bank of America, N.A., Trustee
- Lisle Community Service Corporation
- Northern Illinois Food Bank
- Pray Air
- Renaissance Charitable Foundation, Inc.
- Topfer Family Foundation
- Walmart Foundation
- Wilton Industries